Monday, September 11, 2006

Why Mantis in a Teacup?


I've always been fascinated by the Praying Mantis. They are majestic, deadly (to other insects), inscrutible, and seemingly spiritual in their prayerful gait.

A few years ago I went to the china cabinet to get one of my "good cups" for my tea that day. I pulled out a cup and inside found a praying mantis.

Dead.

In my teacup.

I have no idea how he got into the china cabinet (I don't normally have insects running around my home), and I feel bad that he died there. However, the minute I saw him, the juxtaposition of a creature so inscrutable held within the confines of a symbol of polite society (a china teacup from Japan decorated with small blue and pink flowers and a gold trim) was not lost on me. It was something I instantly related to. I knew in that moment at some point in my life I would name something "Mantis in a Teacup". This place, where I plan to post poetry and occasional commentary, seems to be as good a place as any to bear that name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was that he chose that particular place to lie down.
It was, after all, fortuitous and rare...