Monday, October 30, 2006

The Most Beautiful Art

The most beautiful art, it seems to me, comes from pain. I certainly do my best writing when I am unhappy. I know this is true for many. I wonder why it is harder to write from joy? I've never been able to do it well. Everything I write from joy sounds trite and cheesy. Some might say everything I write sounds trite and cheesy, but I think they'd be wrong about that. LOL

Of course Ode to Joy is in direct opposition to what I wrote above. Maybe it is just the people like myself - rather inexperienced artists - find pain easier to express artistically. In the end, all I know is what works for me.



Release

I sit on stone beside the river.
Leaves of Willow and Birch surround.
A death shroud most fitting.

Anguish crashes against stone
like the river’s din.
Relentless, neither yielding

I come for healing, unsure if even this place
is strong enough for the task. I examine the
shards of a shattered life, seeking a lesson.

Here, the familial love withdrawn in shades of racism.
There, the job precariously balanced due to your position.
Another, my wild nature tamed by your children, half grown.
I sacrificed all of importance and laid myself bleeding and empty
in supplication at your feet to acquire a gem far more precious:
Us.

The rush of the river drowns the sounds of a life crushed
to hear your whispers. The relentless sound as the glass
settles into its heap beside me. Echoed mercilessly through
the dead telephone line, the last I heard from you.

My breath gone, my tears gone, the clamor of water’s rush fills me anew.
Freedom comes in realization: none of the past can be reclaimed.
I let the river sweep the glass downstream I want no part of it.
Instead I gather clay.
My life starts here.

Joni
November 4, 2004

5 comments:

billie said...

Hi, I followed the path over here from the psycho therapist...:)

Love the last two lines especially:

Instead I gather clay.
My life starts here.

wow...

billie

Joni said...

Glad you like it Billie! Thanks for stopping by. The break-up of that particular relationship was a truly life changing event for me - my life did start there. My life in which I no longer beat myself up for not being perfect. A life in which I accepted myself and truly liked and loved myself for the first time all came from that pain. In the end it was certainly worth it.

Joni said...

Ahhh, Rick, you beat me to the punch! I will be posting a poem about something very similar once I get time to do some editing.

Bugwit said...

I think we write about pain more than joy for a few reasons: Pain is indelible. I can remember minute details surrounding the scene of a painful memory, but wehn it come s to joy, I remember little detail, or nothing at all.

Second, I think that pain inspires introspection. We want to know the why of it. Are we to blame, and to what degree? How do we avoid this in the future.

With joy, there's no need to re-engineer your life.

Joni said...

Bug -

Very astute about the introspection aspect. That analysis of the "why" of your life leads to so very many things if you take it far enough.

Thanks for stopping by!